?

No account? Create an account
Holy Placement, Batman! - Hollister in 2008!

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile
> Hollister 2008 Membership Form

Links
Casa de Swag

July 12th, 2006

Previous Entry Share Next Entry
bovil
01:00 pm - Holy Placement, Batman!
If you haven't read (or haven't received, or aren't registered and getting) the L.A.con IV Progress Report 5, you haven't seen the great placement that our ad got.

We're the first bid ad in the progress report (page 11), and set opposite the "Getting there" article.

We've probably also got the best bid ad in the progress report. Sure, the Columbus ad is full of information and has a smiling robot, but who's to say that smile isn't just welded on? Denver's ad is a "Dr. Seuss" poem; I thought their theme was gnomes and buffalos with wings and things, not sneeches and whos and rhymes and strange times. And then there's the Chicago ad. It says nothing.

So remember, vote Hollister in 2008: Even with factual inaccuracies our advertising is better.

(23 comments | Leave a comment)

Comments:

[User Picture]
From:jbriggs
Date:July 12th, 2006 08:07 pm (UTC)
(Link)
There was much opposition to the Gnomes. You don't know how hard it is to get Mary to drop a theme she has set her mind too. Be happy with the rhymes.
[User Picture]
From:bovil
Date:July 12th, 2006 08:10 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Well, on a serious note it's kind of late to be changing marketing themes (even if San Mateo Westercon won their election first, and Michael is gnoming it up).
[User Picture]
From:jbriggs
Date:July 12th, 2006 08:16 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Au contraire. If a marketing theme is working against you, now is the time to change it. Yesterday would have been better. Tomorrow is too late.
[User Picture]
From:bovil
Date:July 12th, 2006 10:01 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I think yesterday was too late. I'm not really expecting a flood of mail-in votes from Interaction members who aren't going to be at L.A.con IV, but the Gnomes were a hit in the masquerade there (even if they didn't have their audio ready and screwed up the rehearsal schedule).
[User Picture]
From:jbriggs
Date:July 12th, 2006 11:22 pm (UTC)
(Link)
So, are you advocating that Denver should stick with a plan that is likely to turn away voters in the hope that unlikely voters may decide to cast ballots?

Nah. Dump (i.e. de-emphasize) the gnomes.
[User Picture]
From:bovil
Date:July 12th, 2006 11:31 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Naah, I'm just saying that a lot of other people are going to look at the Denver ad (like I did) and say "What happened to the gnomes?"
[User Picture]
From:jbriggs
Date:July 12th, 2006 11:58 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Oh. I suspect that reaction won't be as common as you think. Almost all feedback to the Denver committee was negative concerning the gnomes. Indeed, the gnomes are more appropriate for the Geneva bid, it being so close to Zurich, and all.
[User Picture]
From:bovil
Date:July 13th, 2006 12:02 am (UTC)
(Link)
I will grant that Gnomes make more sense for the Geneva bid. Are they using gnomes?
[User Picture]
From:jbriggs
Date:July 13th, 2006 12:16 am (UTC)
(Link)
Not to my knowledge. Their web page (www.thegenevaconvention.org) appears to have expired and a squatter is sitting on it now. Perhaps those "Gnomes of Zurich" have a hand in it d^;
[User Picture]
From:bovil
Date:July 13th, 2006 12:52 am (UTC)
(Link)
Yeah, I noticed that. They must have provided payment from the wrong numbered account.
[User Picture]
From:bovil
Date:July 14th, 2006 04:39 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Say... did they also dump the winged buffalo?
[User Picture]
From:jbriggs
Date:July 14th, 2006 04:51 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Last I checked it was still there. I think I'm going to call him "Chip."
[User Picture]
From:bovil
Date:July 14th, 2006 05:21 pm (UTC)
(Link)
The website is still covered with gnomes (and gnome shirts, and gnome ad pdfs), but since there are buffalo wristbands (without gnomes) and buffalo medallions (without gnomes) I can see they might want to keep it.

Can you ask someone in the know?
[User Picture]
From:darrelx
Date:July 12th, 2006 08:19 pm (UTC)
(Link)
The PR#5 misspelled my name in the staff list... and didn't list me at all under the Exhibits division, even though I'm bringing up a bunch of display panels for the "Great Wall".

ack. Pfft.
[User Picture]
From:johnnyeponymous
Date:July 12th, 2006 09:40 pm (UTC)

My apologies

(Link)
That was all my fault. Please feel free to stab me (love handles only) when next you see me
THanks
chris
[User Picture]