?

No account? Create an account
If You Think I Looked Angry at Opening Ceremonies... - Hollister in 2008!

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile
> Hollister 2008 Membership Form

Links
Casa de Swag

August 24th, 2006

Previous Entry Share Next Entry
kevin_standlee
07:57 am - If You Think I Looked Angry at Opening Ceremonies...
A conversation I had last night with someone who ought to know better (I make significant allowances for people who have no Worldcon experience) who had just come from the Hollister in 2008 party infuriated me. This person somehow had interpreted what he'd been hearing at the (wonderfully decorated and run, BTW) Casa de Worldcon party as meaning that the committee had somehow nefariously subverted the ballot ("fixed" it) and arranged (how, I never determined -- maybe through me as head of the Business Meeting?) to have Hollister declared the winner. I asked this person, "How? Tell me how Hollister wins the election."

He said, "Well, if they get a majority of the votes, then they'd win."

I said, "No, they wouldn't. They haven't filed. They aren't actually eligible. It's all in the WSFS Constitution." Unfortunately, I didn't have a Souvenir Book with me, so I couldn't look up the appropriate rule (section 4.5.4, and no, I didn't remember the precise citation last night) and show it to him. He claimed to defer to my knowledge of the WSFS rules -- and frankly, in this case he should, as I was involved in drafting that section -- but remained unconvinced. He also expressed severe concern about how this was going to confuse those first-time Worldcon attendees who would not know how to vote.

I looked at him askance. "Do you really think a significant number of people who walked in off the street are going to want to stump up $40 to vote for a hoax bid? For that matter, do you really think that Hollister will poll enough votes to keep any bid from polling a first-ballot majority?" I guess he did, so to that extent the Hollister in 2008 Committee should be proud that we've managed to convince at lest one person that we are a certified Menace to Fandom. (Make sure to ask Cheryl Morgan for your ribbon saying so!)
Current Mood: annoyedannoyed

(5 comments | Leave a comment)

Comments:

[User Picture]
From:jbriggs
Date:August 24th, 2006 05:27 pm (UTC)
(Link)
It is my opinion that the Hollister bid will draw first round votes from Denver. If Hollister has more votes after the minor stuff gets eliminated its possible it could bump Denver out of the running, but if Hollister gets eliminated early its anyones guess who wins between Chicago and Denver. Alas poor Yorick, er, Columbus, doesn't have much of a chance.
[User Picture]
From:kevin_standlee
Date:August 24th, 2006 09:40 pm (UTC)
(Link)
If Hollister has more votes after the minor stuff gets eliminated...
If no bid has a majority at the end of the first round, it doesn't matter how many votes Hollister (or any other ineligible bid) has -- all of the ineligible bids get eliminated at the same time. Here is the text of the rule (emphasis mine):
4.5.4: All ballots shall be initially tallied by their first preferences, even if cast for a bid that the administering Committee has ruled ineligible. If no eligible bid achieves a majority on the first round of tallying, then on the second round all ballots for ineligible bids shall be redistributed to their first eligible choices, and tallying shall proceed according to Section 6.3.
So even if 99% of the votes were cast for Hollister, at the end of the first round, all of the Hollister votes would be redistributed to an eligible bid (or vanish entirely if there were no further preferences). This makes it impossible for any hoax bid to deadlock an election.

[User Picture]
From:redneckotaku
Date:August 24th, 2006 09:52 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Makes total sense, but it would be cool to see Hollister make it to the second round of voting. What is the record for most hoax bid votes on first round?
[User Picture]
From:jbriggs
Date:August 24th, 2006 05:33 pm (UTC)
(Link)
PS Was Open Ceremonies directly after the Hollister Party ?! Your title implies it d^:
[User Picture]
From:bovil
Date:August 24th, 2006 06:36 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I'll give you a stack of the "Easy Target" ribbons...

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com